Thursday, September 27, 2012

Snacks from the garden

New produce to work with, so new recipes for me too!

 

Salted, roasted sunflower seeds:

I've never roasted sunflower seeds before because birds always tend to get to the seeds before I do. I saw some recipes online for fancy flavorings, but wanted to do something just simple for my first try. I simmered the sunflower seeds in heavily salted water for about 45 minutes. Then roasted them in the oven for another 45 at 325 degrees. This lets the salt inside the shell casing so the seed itself is salty. Yum!

 

Next, I used almost anything I could to make fries. The two pictured here are zucchini fries and green bean fries. The recipe is the same for both:

Take beans or sliced zucchini, coat in flour, dip in egg+water mixture, then coat in a mixture of Italian breadcrumbs, s&p, and paprika. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until crispy and slightly browned. Turn them around once or twice and in about 30-45 minutes, bam! Fries!

 

 
 

No comments: