Wednesday, December 03, 2008

dinner december 2 (last night)

I've been having an absolutely stressful last week and it will not end until next Thursday evening. In the meantime, I have been slacking in my cooking... until last night. I pretty much had to do something non stressful (like cook) or I was going to have to visit Pine Rest. So I made an amazing soup... here is the recipe:

I started with a couple tablespoons of each olive oil and butter in a large pot. I softened about two teaspoons of chopped garlic in it for a minute or two. Then I whisked in about 1/3 cup of flour. I cooked the flour and butter/olive oil mixture making a light brown roux, about 3-4 minutes on medium high. I then slowly stirred in about two cups of milk, all the time whisking as to not burn the milk.
After the milk came up to a hot temperature, I took the pot off the heat and stirred in one whole large block of sharp cheddar cheese, which I had grated. Once it was melted in, I added one bottle of Bell's Winter White Ale, about a cup and a half of chicken stock, a couple tablespoons of dijon mustard, and a few dashes each of worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. I also added some paprika, salt and pepper, and stirred with a wooden spoon until hot. At the very end, I added a bunch of leftover shredded ham from a ham roast and about 6 potatoes, peeled, cooked and cubed.
I was looking for a thick consistency and a sharp flavor... so after tasting I added a little more cheddar and hot sauce. It really was the best soup I have ever made and even tasted. I think Gabe agrees... this is a soup that I will definitely make over and over and over again!
(oh yeah, and I probably would have sauteed some green onions in with the garlic, but i didn't have any at the time... but i didn't miss them!)
(sorry, this pic is awful, but oh well)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jessa! This is awesome. Keep blogging, I really enjoyed reading your recipes.

Janelle said...

Jessa, wonderful ... makes me want to learn how to cook! Actually, gonna pass this on to Rick ~ he is the cook in the family. You'll have to try some of his stuff! Keep posting, mmmm ...